Proctoring is testing overseen by an authorized, neutral, proctor, who ensures the identity of the test taker and the integrity of the test taking environment. In short, a proctor is a proxy for the instructor, who oversees a test.
Remote proctoring enables students to write a test in a remote location, while maintaining the integrity of the test. Students must confirm their identity and they may be monitored through video. This video is then used to flag any irregular student behaviour. Remote proctored tests can be taken from anywhere, as long as a student has access to a device with WiFi.
An online proctoring software continuously verifies online test-takers’ identity while detecting and deterring academic misconduct. The tool ensures multi-factor bio metric authentication (face scan, ID scan, and room scan) upon entry. The software can prevent students from accessing web browsers or other applications in between the tests.
Remote proctoring occurs in remote environments, where students are monitored online when writing a test. Remote proctoring has three categories:
- Live online proctoring: students are monitored live, where proctors are able to disable a test immediately following suspicious activity
- Recorded proctoring: images and log data are filed for proctors to review later.
- Advanced auto proctoring: the software detects irregularities, which proctors may review as, and if, needed.
Can Online Tests Detect Cheating?
Yes, online tests can detect cheating. Online assessments have always been a more convenient choice for the examiner and the examinee alike. But cheating and content fraud have been a perennial concern for administrators as it jeopardizes the assessments’ integrity. Proctoring services enable clients to safely, securely and efficiently deliver proctored assessments to participants. Special features ensure the authenticity and reliability of exams. Examples are multi-point candidate authentication, and AI and human-based proctoring. Maintaining the sanctity of exams is integral to the success of the assessment process, be it for high or low-stakes testing.
Advantages of Procotoring
- Agility: The examination is a time-consuming process and involves many steps and people. The online examination can be conducted without wasting time and efforts of several people. Remote proctoring improves the process by reducing the involvement of individuals to invigilate the students. This makes the examination more agile. Since it eliminates the presence of individuals, the candidates from remote locations can also take the exam.
- Security: To secure the examination, educational institutions need to take extra caution and spend money at various steps. Since the online examination system alone checks the untoward incidents, the institutions can stop worrying about the lack of efficiency. Remote proctoring is a reliable solution to secure the entire exam administration.
- Scalable: The advanced remote proctoring enables to conduct the online examination in mass scale. The candidates can participate in the exam from their own personal devices and the system restrict the access to IP addresses and monitors individual exam taker. There is no issue of space constraints or human resource to administer the test.
- Fast delivery – exams, evaluation & results: As discussed above, the agile online examination platform helps institutions quickly deliver the exams. The exam software combined with remote proctoring also intensifies the evaluation and result declaration. The system can evaluate the answers automatically in the case of objective type questions and the result can be declared as soon as the candidate finishes the exam. Even for subjective type questions, the evaluation can be done with a few clicks and declare result.
- Cost-effective: As the involvement of a large number of invigilators is eliminated, the institutions can marginally reduce the cost of conducting examinations. The institutions only need to invest money in the online examination software with remote proctoring service. Uploading questions and details of candidates into the software is the only steps involved in the process before the examination.