Online Academies have virtual classes that students can take from home, a library, a coffee shop, or anywhere else that has an internet connection. The teachers work remotely and have a structured curriculum for their online students to follow. Online Academies do 100% online learning, meaning there are no in-class lessons.
Advantages of Online Academies
- Travel is not required, with much greater dependability of lessons. Whether disrupting transport is almost irrelevant (though an area subject to frequent power cuts will suffer consequent disruptions). Similarly, common health disruptions through minor illness or injury will not halt learning, because the physical demands are so much less. Transcripts of lessons can plug short absences.
- Many students who have personal or health conditions that make physical school difficult or impossible can instead learn using virtual educational programs.
- Ideal for individuals and families who need flexible arrangements. However, synchronous learning does impose limits due to time zones, which tend to divide online schools in Europe and Asia from North America.
- There is greater flexibility for self-learners or gifted students to explore learning beyond the standard curriculum. Independent-minded students, those with specialist skills and ambitions, can develop at their own preferred pacing using network resources.
- Online schools can be equalizers, as age, appearance, and background are far less obvious. Groups can be categorized by personal ability.
- Students and pupils benefit from exposure to others in different cultures of the world, which enriches understanding of history, geography, religions and politics, and develops social skills.
- Students have the ability to avoid the requirement of travelling to a physical school.
- A student may have the ability to take a course that is not offered at a location near them.